Black hole shows shocked astronomers some real star power
Jets from black hole five times more powerful than brightest supernova.
Astronomers are surprised by their observations of a black hole which made its presence known by firing an energetic burst of particles into space. What's you won't believe is just how massive those jets are.
The burst was five times more bright than the brightest supernova ever recorded. A supernova is the explosion of a star that happens when it reaches the end of its life. Supernova explosions can be brighter than an entire galaxy when they occur. However, this jet emanating from the black hole in NGC 660 was five times brighter than the brightest supernova ever recorded - ever.
Astronomers discovered the jet by accident, by comparing images of NGC 660 takes several years apart. In one image nothing, in the other, and incredible bright spot that exceeded all expectations.
As soon as astronomers saw the initial images, they knew they had something extraordinary to look at. To follow up their initial observation, they employed several arrays of telescopes around the world. Combining the data from these ultra-sensitive instruments, they found the telltale fingerprints of a jet emanating from a black hole in the center of the NGC 660.
This is a known phenomenon. Nearly all galaxies, including our own Milky Way, are clustered around central supermassive black holes. These black holes are far more massive than our sun by factors of millions and even billions.
As matter from surrounding space falls into the black hole it gets accelerated to extraordinary speeds, much like the way a figure skater spins more rapidly as she folds her arms closer to her body. The matter becomes very hot and energetic as it is powerfully compressed Into a smaller and smaller space, moving rapidly. Although black holes are so powerful that not even light can escape them, hence the name black holes, some of the matter can escape just before it is devoured, shot outwards from the poles of the black hole just before it's too late.
These jets have been observed coming from massive black holes all around the universe suggesting the phenomenon is common.
What scientists can't yet explain is why this jet is so many times brighter and more energetic than other similar jets.
Astronomy is filled with such mysteries. As new and improved instruments come online and new methods of evaluating data are developed, more questions than answers emerge. Astronomers say these questions are essential to understanding our universe and our place within it, as well as where we came from, and where we may be going in the generations to follow.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Mars One may stage ultimate anti-reality show where particpants vie to be voted OFF the planet to their demise
- NASA releases images of mysterious hexagon on Saturn
- Stanford researchers develop a way to literally read minds
- Report reveals FBI can remotely scan your computer without your knowledge
- Ultra-secret, Area-51 spy plane finally revealed to the public
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?