25 billion apps downloaded from Apple store
App sales average three for every person on Earth
Apple has reached 25 billion downloads from its App store, which is a
highly substantial number - that number is enough for three for every
person in the world, if the world's population is set at seven billion.
It's just another jewel in the crown for Apple, who is raking in huge
profits on record Smartphone and tablet sales. Apple has become the
world's most valuable company based on its stock price.
The top three best selling free apps in the App Store currently are Draw Something Free, The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Camera Awesome.
Nearly half of American adults now own a Smartphone, according to Pew Internet. That's an 11 percent increase in the number who owned one last May. The study also found that of the people who own a mobile phone, more are Smartphone users than non-Smartphone users.
Another factor that's contributing to ever-increasing app usage is the alacrity many apps work compared to the experience users have when they access a site using a regular web browser. Ebay's mobile app, for instance -- if you're at a store and find an item you're interested in, you can open the app and in one click scan the barcode of the item.
If the item is for sale on eBay you'll have instant access to the auctions selling it, in the manner of Amazon's app as well as many others that make shopping, connecting or gaming almost too fast and too easy.
According to AppleInsider, Apple has paid developers more than $4 billion and offers about 600,000 apps in its store. According to recent figures extrapolated by Aysmco, Apple has sold an estimated 410 million mobile devices as of the end of 2011. So if you take 25 billion downloads and divide it by 410 million you get about 61 apps per device.
The top three best selling free apps in the App Store currently are Draw Something Free, The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Camera Awesome. Highly popular choices such as Temple Run, Pinterest and Jetpack Joyride make the top 20. Users can always find perennial favorites such as Pandora Radio, Twitter and Facebook in the top 30 apps people are downloading.
The 25 billion download mark ends a promotion Apple had been touting in which the person to hit the milestone by downloading an app would win a $10,000 App Store gift card.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?