25 billion apps downloaded from Apple store
App sales average three for every person on Earth
Apple has reached 25 billion downloads from its App store, which is a
highly substantial number - that number is enough for three for every
person in the world, if the world's population is set at seven billion.
It's just another jewel in the crown for Apple, who is raking in huge
profits on record Smartphone and tablet sales. Apple has become the
world's most valuable company based on its stock price.
The top three best selling free apps in the App Store currently are Draw Something Free, The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Camera Awesome.
Nearly half of American adults now own a Smartphone, according to Pew Internet. That's an 11 percent increase in the number who owned one last May. The study also found that of the people who own a mobile phone, more are Smartphone users than non-Smartphone users.
Another factor that's contributing to ever-increasing app usage is the alacrity many apps work compared to the experience users have when they access a site using a regular web browser. Ebay's mobile app, for instance -- if you're at a store and find an item you're interested in, you can open the app and in one click scan the barcode of the item.
If the item is for sale on eBay you'll have instant access to the auctions selling it, in the manner of Amazon's app as well as many others that make shopping, connecting or gaming almost too fast and too easy.
According to AppleInsider, Apple has paid developers more than $4 billion and offers about 600,000 apps in its store. According to recent figures extrapolated by Aysmco, Apple has sold an estimated 410 million mobile devices as of the end of 2011. So if you take 25 billion downloads and divide it by 410 million you get about 61 apps per device.
The top three best selling free apps in the App Store currently are Draw Something Free, The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Camera Awesome. Highly popular choices such as Temple Run, Pinterest and Jetpack Joyride make the top 20. Users can always find perennial favorites such as Pandora Radio, Twitter and Facebook in the top 30 apps people are downloading.
The 25 billion download mark ends a promotion Apple had been touting in which the person to hit the milestone by downloading an app would win a $10,000 App Store gift card.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?