'Mole' helped get goods on Attorney General Holder
Rep. Darrell Issa worked with special spy to reveal dirt on Eric Holder
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) has long claimed that the Department of
Justice has been withholding information on a controversial gun-running
operation. It now appears that Issa (R-Calif.) has turned the tables on
Attorney General Eric Holder. Through an anonymous source, Issa obtained
information about the initiative currently under a federal
Since the release of these documents are a federal crime; the main question is if the Justice Department will seek to prosecute the so-called 'whistleblower.'
Issa had previously asked the department for the documents, such as wiretap applications used in the botched federal gun-tracking called "Operation Fast and Furious" for several months. Issa has taken preliminary steps to move contempt-of-Congress citations against Holder. It's not yet known if GOP leaders support that move. The attendant controversy could help Issa attract more Republican support for a contempt-of-Congress resolution.
If Holder proceeds with an investigation into where the leak originated, he could depict the move as an attempt by the department to hide the documents' contents. It also raises the possibility that the department's investigators will seek information from Issa, who has long tried to find out who approved the "gun-walking" tactics used in Fast and Furious along the U.S.-Mexico border.
Not pursuing an investigation would tacitly ignore a criminal breach, possibly leading Issa's source and others to reveal other information sealed by a judge.
"We're not going to make our whistleblower available. That's been one of the most sensitive areas, because some of the early whistleblowers are already feeling retribution. They're being treated horribly," Issa told Fox News.
Queried where Issa got the wiretap applications, he told The Hill, "You can ask, but you should have no expectation of an answer. By the way, if I asked you where you got yours, would you give me your sources?"
In retaliation, the Obama administration could point out that he is stonewalling federal authorities after complaining throughout this Congress of being stonewalled by the department of Justice.
As the lead congressional investigator of Fast and Furious, Issa says the documents show top-ranking DOJ officials signing off on the condemned "gun-walking" tactics used in the failed operation.
The documents have not yet been made public. Issa has apparently broken no laws by being given the information.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: department of Justice, Eric Holder, Darrell Issa, whistlebowers, moles
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Supreme Court: No, you can't ask for proof of citizenship for voter registration
- What happens when the Culture of Surveillance meets the Culture of Corruption?
- Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
- Bombshell: Low-level NSA agents can wiretap anyone, even the president, sans warrant
- PRISM precursor programs sparked concerns, potential resignations under Bush
- Facebook, Microsoft reveal number of government requests for your info, but no details
- Whistle-blower Snowden says Obama can still save face after PRISM debacle
- The Culture of Life: Senator Rand Paul gets it right
- Obamacare to cost everybody more than they are paying now
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?