Police warn of marijuana laced candy
Inspect the candy, you can never be too safe!
It sounds like an urban legend, as all tainted candy stories are, but public safety officials in LA are warning parents to watch out for marijuana-laced candy.
Reefer candy is real, as evidenced in this DEA image.
The only known incident of laced candy occurred in 1974 when a Texas father murdered his own child with cyanide-laced Pixie Stixs. Likewise, fears about kidnappings on Halloween are also unfounded since there has never been an instance of a child being kidnapped or harmed by strangers on Halloween during the course of trick-or-treating.
Despite this dose of reality, there are some very real dangers confronting children this holiday, as there are every year. Halloween is the third busiest night of the year for pedestrian accidents, and drunk drivers often take to the streets after dark.
Locally, the LAPD warns they will be out in force, looking to protect kids and to arrest anyone driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Parents are advised to accompany their children throughout their trick-or-treating walk, and they should carry flashlights. Costumes that can obstruct vision should be avoided so that children and adults can see any oncoming traffic.
Drivers are warned to be extra vigilant during the evening as children take to the streets around dusk and just after dark, and adults may be outside later.
Parents will still find it reasonable and prudent to inspect children's candy before allowing them to eat it. After all, too many KitKats, Baby Ruths, and Special Darks are bad for their teeth...
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: reefer candy, children, safety, halloween, marijuana, DUI
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Dr. Glidden of Catalina Island: Monster or historian?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?