Arrest in kidnapping and murder of teen
Sierra LaMar's parents have hope even as cops arrest murder suspect.
The parents of missing teenager, Sierra LaMar, are not going to give up hope in finding their daughter, even as police arrested a 21-year-old man on Monday for her kidnapping and murder.
Sierra LaMar's parents aren't giving up hope in finding their daughter.
"Our search still is not going to end," Sierra's mother Marlene LaMar said at a press conference Tuesday. "As a mother, I'm hopeful because her body has not been found."
"We were hoping that he would lead us to where Sierra was," Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said Tuesday, adding that the decision to book Garcia-Torres came out of concern for public safety.
Because LaMar's body has yet to be found, Smith stated that there is strong evidence that points to homicide, something the community has feared since LaMar disappeared on her way to school on March 16. Smith has refused to speak about the state of the physical evidence found on LaMar's clothes and in the suspect's vehicle.
"These are very very difficult cases, to prosecute a homicide when you haven't found the victim," Smith said.
Garcia-Torres' record has shown a past conviction for interfering with an officer, which is a misdemeanor, and a felony arrest for assault, of which he was not prosecuted. Interviews with the suspect have yet to reveal anything about LaMar's whereabouts.
LaMar's mother pleaded with Garcia-Torres to cooperate with the investigators.
"Please, please give the information that you have to lead us to Sierra," LaMar's mother pleaded to Garcia-Torres. "I would like you to come forward and say where she is and end this nightmare."
Sheriff's officials and volunteers have searched the fields, open spaces, and reservoirs near Morgan Hill. Also, a Facebook page was made to try and help find LaMar. The KlaasKids Foundation, found by Marc Klaas, whose 12-year-old daughter, Polly, was kidnapped and murdered in 1993, has been organizing volunteer searches on both Wednesdays and Saturdays.
"We still need your support," Sierra's father, Steve LaMar, said. "We need to bring Sierra home."
On March 17, Sierra's handbag was found with clothing and a cellphone on the side of a road near her home. Earlier this month, a red Volkswagen Jetta was found with investigators saying it may be connected to Sierra's abduction. Officials have released little details about leads in the case, including if they found any evidence in the car.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: kidnapping, murder, arrest, teenager
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?