Tornado Outbreak in Dallas Area
Situation is developing.
At least two tornadoes have done significant damage in the greater Dallas area. Heavy damage is being reported. No fatalities or injuries have yet been reported. The hazardous weather situation is ongoing.
Local news services carried live coverage of at least one tornado making its way through the southeast part of the city. The tornado kicked up debris, blew transformers, and tossed cars and trucks.
At least 29,000 people are estimated to be without power.
Schools have moved children into hallways and shelters.
Spotters are reporting tornadoes forming in the Arlington, TX area.
The National Weather Service is predicting that most of the tornadoes will be short-duration events lasting about 20 minutes each. None of the tornadoes are expected to be "long track" events which stretch for great distances.
THIS STORY IS DEVELOPING CHECK FOR UPDATES
UPDATE 3:08 CDT Eastern Texas will remain under Tornado Watch until 8 PM.
UPDATE 3:16 CDT Severe thunderstorm warnings remain in effect. High winds, heavy rain, and hail should be expected throughout the region. Hailstones may be large. Winds and lightning remains a serious threat to life and property. Area residents are advised to remain in shelter or near shelter.
NOAA Radar - Dallas, live updates.
UPDATE 3:33 CDT Cleburne, Arlington and Lancaster appear to be the hardest hit areas.
UPDATE 3:35 CDT Tornado warnings for the Dallas - Ft. Worth areas have been cancelled as of 3 PM CDT.
UPDATE 3:44 CDT Despite very heavy damage in some areas, no injuries or fatalities have yet been reported.
UPDATE 3:51 CDT DFW Airport has cleared terminals and parking garages for reopening. Planes are being checked for hail damage. The FAA is still holding inbound flights from departing to the DFW area.
UPDATE: 4:03 CDT Flights have been diverted to Abilene Regional Airport. Officials expect as many as 600 people may be stranded overnight.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?