GRAPHIC VIDEO - Syrian rebel buried alive
Authenticity and source remain unknown.
A video has emerged from the Syrian conflict that appears to show a man being buried alive. Two caveats. First, the authenticity of the video is disputable, and second, the content is gruesome.
The video shows a civilian who has been buried in a pit up to his neck. Armed soldiers belonging to Assad's regime surround the victim.
According to the video's subtitles, an officer asks, "What's he got? Did you find anything on this damn animal?"
The source describes the man as a civilian from Al-Qussair, which is a rebel-held city in western Syria. He was accused of carrying a camera with which he allegedly filmed and recorded Syrian security forces.
After being insulted multiple times, the solders are ordered to bury the man. As dirt is shoveled over his head, he cries out, "I bear witness that there is no god but Allah!"
The solders cruelly reply, "Say there is no god but Bashar, you animal."
The video ends with the man's head buried under a mound of dirt.
The end of the clip contains a message calling the world to action.
There are multiple reasons why an objective observer might cast doubt on the video. The original source for the footage also remains unknown. It does appear questionable that security forces would gruesomely murder a man for the crime of recording security force atrocities, and subsequently record an atrocity of their own.
While the video may be fake, it is still one of the most disturbing bits of media to emerge from the troubled region which has been racked by violence for over a year. If the video is verified as authentic, then it will be ironclad proof of the atrocities of Assad's regime.
Meanwhile, despite a cease-fire agreement and the presence of UN observers, violence continues throughout the region. Both sides blame the other for violations of the cease-fire.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- More than 100,000 Ethiopians expelled from Saudi Arabia
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- 5,000-year-old salt mines built by prehistoric men still in use today
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?