Bishop orders Catholics be informed of...
The danger of voting against the Church on non-negotiable issues.
At least one Bishop isn't taking chances with his parishioners, ordering his priests to read a letter of warning to the faithful. Peoria Bishop Daniel Jenky made clear that politicians who support abortion also reject Christ.
Bishop Jenky has some serious words for parishioners this Sunday.
That letter explains in very plain terms that Obama as well as a majority of US Senators will not reconsider the mandate that would compel religious employers to pay for morally objectionable procedures.
Last year, the Obama administration ordered that businesses would have to pay for contraception and sterilization services as well as abortifacients. This edit puts all religious people, not just Catholics, under persecution because they must either comply with the law and become a party to the murder of unborn children, or face severe punishment.
The assault on religious freedom is "without precedent" Bishop Jenky wrote.
Bishop Jenky made clear that those who support this edict also reject Christ.
"Today, Catholic politicians, bureaucrats, and their electoral supporters who callously enable the destruction of innocent human life in the womb also thereby reject Jesus as their Lord.They are objectively guilty of grave sin."
The Church is not anti-Democrat, as Bishop Thomas Paprocki pointed out in the Springfield Diocese Newspaper. "There are many positive and beneficial planks in the Democratic Party Platform, but I am pointing out those that explicitly endorse intrinsic evils," he wrote.
"Again, I am not telling you which party or which candidates to vote for or against," he added. "But I am saying that you need to think and pray very carefully about your vote, because a vote for a candidate who promotes actions or behaviors that are intrinsically evil and gravely sinful makes you morally complicit and places the eternal salvation of your own soul in serious jeopardy."
And that is what must be made plain. If a faithful Christian will not vote their conscience in accord with life, then possibly they will vote by virtue of self-interest. Those who vote for politicians that promote evil become complicit in that evil.
It simply shouldn't be done.
This is not to say that Republicans do not also support positions which the Church finds objectionable. The Church has frequently criticized the right wing of US politics for supporting wars and endeavoring to reduce vital aid and services to the poor. However, these positions are more questions of politics and practicality and are much more morally gray than issues such as abortion.
In other words, the positions typically espoused by Republicans are up for contention, while issues regarding life and marriage are non-negotiable.
As the world holds its breath waiting for the outcome of Tuesday's election, it is hoped and prayed that every Catholic will vote their conscience at the polls and that at the moment of truth, they cast their ballot for righteousness and freedom.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Jenky, Catholic, voting, Obama, HHS, mandate, election, guide
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- Killer whale with missing fins cared for by its pod family
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?