Chicago LE - Roy Lichtenstein's work to be featured in the Art Institute of Chicago
Chicago's Art Institute will be debuting a huge exhibit for artist, Roy Lichtenstein.
Fans of pop artist, Roy Lichtenstein, who died roughly 15 years ago, can experience an exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago that features his famous cartoons from the 60's to the Asian-inspired works in the 90's.
'Roy was able to show us something new about the world in which we live.'
According to the museum, "Roy Lichtenstein: A Retrospective" is the "first major retrospective to broadly examine his art since his death."
The exhibition opened earlier in May, and will be open until Sept. 3. It will then travel to Washington, London, and Paris over the next year. There are works that are well-known, as well as pictures and works of art that have rarely ever been seen.
"Roy was able to show us something new about the world in which we live and about ourselves and how we see the world," said James Rondeau, the exhibit's co-curator."
Lichtenstein also did paintings that were similar to the works of Picasso, Mondrian, Leger, Monet, and Cezanne. His originals, however, are being sold for millions of dollars.
Dorothy Lichtenstein, the artist's widow, viewed the exhibit exclaiming that even she hadn't seen some of his works since back in the 60's. She wishes the show to give people a wider range of appreciation for her late husband's work.
"I hope people come away realizing that he did more than some cartoon frames," Lichtenstein said.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: art, exhibit, retrospective, artist, famous
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Celebrity News
- Has Justin Bieber's 'bad boy' stance gone too far? Pot smelled on tour bus
- Comedian Jonathan Winters dies at 87
- Mouseketeer Annette Funicello dies from multiple sclerosis
- Actor who played Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon, Richard Griffiths dies
- Porno star who embraced Christianity later in life dies
- 'One Day at a Time' actress Bonnie Franklin dies
- Cowboy actor Dale Robertson dies at the age of 89
- Popular British romance novelist 'Jessica Blair' proven to be an 89-year-old man
- Conrad Bain of TV's 'Diff''rent Strokes' dies at 89
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?